In the early years the businesses were centered on an agrarian economy: blacksmith shops, buggy works, sawmills, brick makers, masons, mills for grinding corn and wheat, and, by 1835, cotton gins . There were at least two cotton gins in McDonough: Harkness's on Griffin Street and McGarity's and Welch on Key's Ferry Street. The town blacksmith played a significant role, as he made many of the necessary farm tools as well as useful articles for the homes. McDonough, as a stop, or relay station, for the stagecoach line from New York to New Orleans, also had a number of inns and livery stables.
By 1921 Dr. J. G. Smith had built on the Big Cotton Indian River a hydroelectric plant that furnished the city's electricity for a minimum charge of $1.50 per month. Some of McDonough's more recent enterprises are Dowling Textile Manufacturing Company and Hood's and Carmichael's hosiery mills.
The first churches in McDonough were those of the Methodist (1822), Baptist (1825), and Presbyterian (1827) denominations. Over the years, the number of churches has increased to include Assemblies of God, both Southern and Independent Baptist, Catholic, Christian, Episcopal, and Lutheran congregations, among others.
Henry County Academy, incorporated in 1824, began operating in 1827. By 1831 a female academy also existed. In 1837 the first common school system was adopted, and the academies began to disappear. Modern McDonough has a public school system with primary, elementary, and high schools, as well as a branch of Mercer University, within the city limits.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the population of McDonough is 22,084. Between 2000 and 2010, the city population increased by 160 percent.
Carolyn Floyd Beck, McDonough
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.