Oglethorpe County, in northeast Georgia, is the state's seventeenth county and comprises 441 square miles. Creek and Cherokee Indians lived there when the first white people arrived, but they lost their land through treaties signed in 1773. Fur trappers and traders traversed the area before the first non-Indians established permanent settlements. A few trappers established a temporary community known as Kennedy's Gate, but it was no longer extant by the time of the American Revolution (1775-83).
The first permanent white settlers, led by Revolutionary War veteran Colonel George Mathews to Georgia after the war, were a group of wealthy tobacco planters from Virginia. At first the area was all part of Wilkes County, but Oglethorpe County, named for Georgia's founder James Oglethorpe, was carved from Wilkes in 1793 to accommodate population growth. Over the years Oglethorpe County has gained land from surrounding counties, sometimes in exchange for parts of itself.
Towns and Communities
Lexington, the county seat, was first settled in the late eighteenth century by a group of North Carolinians who named it in honor of Lexington,
Arnoldsville, settled in the early 1800s by Virginians who established tobacco, cotton, and silkworm plantations, was not incorporated until 1969. In earlier days the site's proximity to a Cherokee trail linking Virginia to the Mississippi River made it a popular point for meetings and trading. Colonial governors established a settlement there in the 1770s to regulate Indian trade. The settlement was called Cherokee Corner until 1894, when a local store owner, Edwin Shaw, became postmaster and renamed the town Edwin, after himself. Shaw's store (and postal service rights) were later bought by N. D. Arnold, a wealthy landowner, and the town adopted his name in 1896. Arnold divided 5,000 acres of his land into small farms and sold them "on liberal terms" to encourage settlement of the area.
Maxeys, first known as Shanty, then as Salmonville, was named in honor of Jesse Maxey, a landowner on whose property the town had developed. Maxey had
Aside from the incorporated towns, several communities in Oglethorpe County boast interesting histories of their own. Among them is Philomath, in the southernmost part of the county. Settled in the 1830s by Virginians and North Carolinians, the town was originally named Woodstock. It received its current name at the suggestion of Alexander Stephens, who often visited the town's John W. Reed Academy, a boarding school for boys. Philomath's historic district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Another community with historic associations is Stephens, built around the Antioch Baptist Church and called Antioch until its name was changed to honor Alexander Stephens. The development of Stephens was spurred by the Georgia Railroad's building of a line through the area in 1839, but in 1925, after a fire destroyed most of its business section and the boll weevil destroyed its cotton crop, the once thriving community lost population.
Soon after the American Revolution, the area now called Oglethorpe County focused on agriculture,
Places and People
Notable residents of Oglethorpe County include author Marion Montgomery and politicians Middleton "Pope" Barrow, William H. Crawford, George R. Gilmer, John Henry Lumpkin, Wilson Lumpkin, and George Mathews.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the county population was 14,899, an increase from the 2000 population of 12,635.
Susan R. Boatright and Douglas C. Bachtel, eds., Georgia County Guide (Athens: Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia, annual).
Lena Smith Wise, The Story of Oglethorpe County (Lexington, Ga.: Historic Oglethorpe County, 1980).
Elizabeth B. Cooksey, Savannah
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.